Your site is compact and there are all the product or service details. You must desire more and more traffic for the exposure and business. You may get millions of visitors, but there is not any kind of positive impact. The bounce rate means that the visitors are coming to the site and returning back for another query or site. Through this practice your site may experience a great downfall regarding the course. So, you have to be aware and optimize your site to reduce bounce or exit rates. Here, I have compiled some factors those are responsible for the same and all these have to be optimized as early as possible to achieve a successful business.
- What is Bounce Rate?
Bounce rate is the number of visitors who have come to your site, have visited a single page and then they leave you. Each page can have several bounce rates, but you have to focus on the major ones like:-
i. Landing pages those are linked through paid ads.
ii. High traffic pages that most of the visitors come.
iii. Pages where the conversions are targeted.
- What is Exit Rate?
Exit rates are generally evaluated on the basis of specific pages. Exit rate will show you the page visited by the user finally before moving on. A high exit rate may be a matter of red alert or flag for a specific page. If your product details page has the highest exit rates, you have to understand that the page is unable to provide sufficient information about the respective products.
- The Mediums of Bounce or Exit Rates:-
Here are the operations made by the users to show you that they are bouncing or exiting.
i. By clicking the back button.
ii. By typing another URL.
iii. By clicking on an external link.
iv. By closing the window or tab.
v. By experiencing time-out.
- How will you Measure Bounce Rates?
Here is the necessity of the Google analytics. Before calculating the bounce or exit rates you should have to be clear about the operations and features of analytics. In Google analytics you can get a clear picture of your bounce rates. The steps you have to follow are as follow: – Content> Site content> Pages
Now you have got the glance of the bounce rates. Below I have discussed the basics regarding the same matter.
i. Analytics: – Analytics will provide you the complete insights of the traffic source and bounce rates. A detailed traffic report will help you find the high traffic pages as well as the bounce rates.
ii. User Surveys: – There is no doubt that analytics will show you what the visitors want to see. Except that user survey will bring the more compact suggestions.
iii. User Testing: – Find out what the users are doing on your site. This will help you find the cause of bounce rates.
- The most Common Issues:-
- Site is not Design Responsive: – At present design controls the mind and the user’s satisfaction. If you are using an obsolete design and there are graphics used that are odd with page, the bounce rate automatically rises. The reason is if the user gets a bad impression on the first visit, he/she will be less interested for your site. The content should be attractive and readable with better graphical treatments.
- Site is Difficult to Operate: – You may have placed all the details of your products or services, but the users are not able to use them. If the users cannot find the links or the path how they can proceed. All of these prove that you are using poor information architecture, bad layouts along with technical errors. These are enough to increase the bounce rates at a glance.
- Uses of Excessive Pop-Ups:- Pop-up ads generally annoy people. So, the fact is very common to the visitors of your sites. If you are placing excessive pop-ups there will be a rise of bounce rates.
- Site Speed or Page Loading Speed: – If your site is taking 10 seconds or more to load, there will be a high bounce rate. People have become too much busy and they need the result or answer of the query very fast. So page loading speed is a great factor to avoid bounce rates. Besides that site speed has become one of the most crucial ranking factors according to Google’s recent algorithm update.
- Mobile Suitability: – As you know there is great transition that has happened in the world of web. People prefer to operate mobile search than to a desktop. A search may happen anywhere, in the bedroom, in the office room or on the street. So, you have to be ready to satisfy your visitors at any cost. If your site is not mobile friendly you will surely face a larger bounce rates.
- More Placements of Ads: – Excessive placements of ads are not only annoying for the users, but Google has started penalizing the sites those have used such promotional marketing on the pages in a rough manner. More ads actually make the users away from the search and you may be considered as ineffective.
- More Stress of Third Party Content: – In this case I want to make you concern about the unnecessary objects that usually load while searching and makes the speed down. The objects should have to be loaded when they are required. Here I may make the instance of Mashable as they have structured all of these in a better manner.
- Over Hyper Linking of Third Party Contents: – Over hyper-linking of third party contents may be a reason of bounce rates. The user may proceed to other sites by clicking on the referred links and may not return. It is recommended that there will only be the essential references in a limited manner.
- Visitors are not Targeted Audience: – If the visitors are not targeted audience, you may experience a high bounce rate. You have structured your site for a particular group of people. If they have not come to your site, nothing will work. In this concern you have to remember that there is the proper representation of your products and keywords as well as the ad groups.
- Narrow and Thin Contents: – Many e-commerce sites have automated features to add or delete product pages. These new pages should be kept under surveillance to check for narrow or thin content because these thin pages are the core reasons of bounce rate. If a customer should not get proper description or information of a product on the landing page or product page or service page how the transaction will be possible. To find the thin portion you may use Crazy Egg that is a heat map tool. Using this tool you can specify the cursor movement as well as the thin point of the page and after that you can play with the portion.
- No Call to Action Button: – It is the matter of poor navigation. If you are operating an online shopping cart and the users cannot find the shopping cart in proper time, there will surely be a bounce rate. The other issues like blog and conversations should have to be placed in proper manner, so that users can find them at a glance.
- Bad Color Contrast: – Color has the power to make a dull one into attractive and similarly an attractive one into a dull a one. You may have placed all the necessary data, but your color combination has fouled. Here is the beginning of bounce rate.
- Leverage Internal Search: – You have to know what matters more to the audience and to discover this you have to review the internal search analytics on a regular basis. If you are not aware of the internal activities of the users, how you will track them.
- You can Integrate Google Website Search Feature: – Your site may be too large to operate. In this concern the visitors would like to search a particular thing. The bulk commercial firms have their own site search feature. For others I should mention the free site search function featured by Google. Using this, visitor will be more flexible to find anything and hence the same will reduce the bounce rate.
- 404 Errors: – No one will like your site if you have 404 errors. This is a type of greeting and if you have greeted your users in this way, you have to experience the bounce or exit rates. To avoid such threat you may follow Google’s suggestive snippet.
- Lengthy Posts: – People have less time to spend on your site and if you have post lengthy content, all of those will be omitted. So, in this concern I am suggesting to split the contents and make them readable for the visitors.
- Contents are not Readable: – Contents must be readable and not to be written in a high level language as all the users are not aware of the English literature. So, anything you place on the site must be readable and easier to understand.
- External Links on the Same Window: – Whenever the user is clicking on a external link, it must be opened on a new tab or window that the user should not have to click on the back button. This will be a bad user’s experience.
- Bad Relevancy between Ads and Landing Page: – There must be a better relevancy between ad page and landing page. If the user see anything on the ad page and after reaching on the landing page, discovers something different, there will be an unsatisfactory concern. So, to avoid bounce rate there must be a relevancy between ad page and landing page.
- Website does not meet User’s Satisfaction: – Moreover, if you are experiencing high bounce rate, you are unable to meet user’s satisfaction. There is not satisfactory information that user needs. So, check and review the site and better optimize according the need of your targeted audience.
Conclusion: – So these are all about the tips and measures to avoid bounce rates. There may be further issues and you should mention them if anything has been missed. To make this article your valuable opinions are far necessary. Do not forget to leave your comments.