Today, the video is one of the most popular means used for sharing information, worldwide. With the help of this audio-visual medium, a huge quantity of information is shared every day. There are numerous video sharing websites of which, YouTube is the most popular one. YouTube is an American website that helps in sharing videos of different types. These video-sharing websites provide video hosting services, which allow the users to share their video clips with the world. Another very popular video-sharing website is Vimeo. In this website, just like YouTube, the users can upload, share, and watch videos. High-definition videos can be uploaded to Vimeo.
Though YouTube and Vimeo, both are quite similar, yet there are certain differences between these two widely popular video-sharing websites.
Let’s have a look at the advantages of YouTube and Vimeo:
Pros of YouTube:
- YouTube’s community and audience are much larger than Vimeo’s. More than 1 billion viewers watch videos on YouTube every day.
- You can be absolutely sure that the videos, images, or music that you watch on YouTube are unique because, on YouTube, copyrighted materials cannot be uploaded.
- YouTube is absolutely free. YouTube offers unlimited storage for the users. So, you can upload videos as much as you like on YouTube.
- YouTube being the second most popular search engine in the world has a very high traffic.
- YouTube allows its users to upload an unlimited quantity of videos.
Pros of Vimeo:
- On Vimeo, you will never find any advertisement along with the videos. It is because, YouTube earns its revenue through advertisements, and on the other hand, Vimeo earns its revenue through memberships.
- On Vimeo, you get the facility of replacing a video after you have uploaded it. You can do the necessary changes in the video without losing the views and stats of the video.
- If compared to YouTube, on Vimeo, the quality of the content is much better.
Vimeo offers advanced privacy settings. You can keep your videos password protected on Vimeo or may hide them from the public; your videos will still be on the internet but, will not be searchable.
Now let’s take a look at the disadvantages of YouTube and Vimeo:
Cons of YouTube:
- The viewers have to watch numerous advertisements along with the videos on YouTube.
- Once you have uploaded a video on YouTube, you cannot update, modify, or change your video. You have to delete or re-upload the file for changing it.
- YouTube being a very popular video-sharing site, the quality of the contents on YouTube is not always good.
- YouTube videos are mostly public videos, but there are options available to keep the videos private or unlisted.
Cons of Vimeo:
- Vimeo has 170 million viewers, which is much less than that of YouTube. The communities of users of YouTube and Vimeo are very different.
- You have to be very careful while sharing anything on this video-sharing site, as Vimeo does not automatically disable the copyrighted materials, unlike YouTube.
- You need to become a paid member of Vimeo in order to share videos. There are three paid membership options on Vimeo and a free membership option as well but, with a very limited storage.
- The traffic on Vimeo is much less than YouTube.
- On Vimeo, the users can upload a limited quantity of videos.
So, these are the basic differences between YouTube and Vimeo. Both these video-sharing sites have some positivities, as well as negativities. Considering the above-mentioned pros and cons, it depends on the users, which one they find more suitable for use as per their requirement and purpose.Above notes given as WooRank certified Indian SEO consultant.